Dalton Keith Tops Fast Paced Springfield USRA Out Pace B Modified Feature For 1st Ever Win
May 11, 2019 | by Ronnie Williams
Lebanon’s Dalton Keith made his 1st ever start at The “Quick Quarter”of The Springfield Raceway on Military Appreciation Night to become the 3rd different feature winner this season and getting his 1st ever feature win by taking the top spot from leader Aaron Scroggins on the 15 lap.
With heavy rain in the area all week, Owner and promoter Jerry Hoffman found a break in the Saturday Morning weather and got the racy 1/4 dirt oval ready for action and did not disappoint in providing and outstanding program for the night.
Following a 2 row inversion, Neosho’s Aaron Scroggins shot to the opening lead from his front row starting spot with some tight 2-3 wide racing behind the leader. Arkansas driver John Briggs brought out and early caution with problems and bunched the pack up as Scroggins and last years rookie of the year Bill Schahuber went to battle along with James Thompson, Jackie Dalton and Sam Petty while 9th starter Keith was finding the middle groove to his cars liking and was making strong forward movement picking off spots every other lap.
With Scroggin’s staying on the top groove, it looked like he would be ready to get his 1st of the year, Keith was a rocket ship and driving hit hard in the turns. With 5 laps remaining, Keith pulled even with Scroggins and made the winning pass in turns 1&2 and drove away for the win despite and left front tire going flat and some left front damage as he clipped a tire low in the corner.
Keith had to overcome a 2 spot penalty for jumping a restart in his qualifying heat race which pushed him to the 9th starting spot. Following the 1st time winner to the stripe were early leader Scroggins, Sam Petty, defending track champion Jackie Dalton and James Thompson. Qualifying heats went to Briggs and Thompson.
USRA Out Pace and Summit Weekly Series Action presented by Reliable Chevrolet continues next Saturday with The USRA B modified plus a full program of Modifieds, Midwest Modz, Pure Stocks, Legends and a special appearance of the ORCS Winged Sprint Cars.
For more information visit the Facebook Page or website at WWW.SpringfieldRaceway.Com
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver and hometown.
Reliable Chevrolet USRA B-Mods
1. (3) 5* John Briggs, Bull Shoals, Ark.
2. (4) 55B Bill Schahuber, Springfield, Mo.
3. (1) 52M Jared Monger, Clever, Mo.
4. (6) 80 T.J. Yount, Greenfield, Mo.
5. (2) 29 Dalton Keith, Lebanon, Mo.
6. (5) 19 James Smith, Springfield, Mo.
7. (7) 3A Aaron Speck, Republic, Mo.
1. (1) 11T James Thompson, Springfield, Mo.
2. (3) 1/4 Aaron Scroggins, Neosho, Mo.
3. (4) 21 Jackie Dalton, Carthage, Mo.
4. (5) 9 Sam Petty, Marshfield, Mo.
5. (2) 32 Kelly Hicks, Pea Ridge, Ark.
6. (6) 15 Cayden Stacye, Springfield, Mo.
1. (9) 29 Dalton Keith, Lebanon, Mo.
2. (1) 1/4 Aaron Scroggins, Neosho, Mo.
3. (8) 9 Sam Petty, Marshfield, Mo.
4. (6) 21 Jackie Dalton, Carthage, Mo.
5. (3) 11T James Thompson, Springfield, Mo.
6. (2) 55B Bill Schahuber, Springfield, Mo.
7. (10) 32 Kelly Hicks, Pea Ridge, Ark.
8. (7) 80 T.J. Yount, Greenfield, Mo.
9. (13) 3A Aaron Speck, Republic, Mo.
10. (5) 52M Jared Monger, Clever, Mo.
11. (12) 15 Cayden Stacye, Springfield, Mo.
12. (11) 19 James Smith, Springfield, Mo.
13. (4) 5* John Briggs, Bull Shoals, Ark.